Persib Bandung is one of the oldest and biggest football clubs in Indonesia. With a history that dates back to 1933 and over five million followers on social media, they are one of the most popular clubs in the country. As indicated by the club name, their home base is the West-Javanese city of Bandung. The city is known for its artists and nicknamed as the Paris of Java among Indonesians.
Persib Bandung’s history dates back to 1933. The year the club was founded as B.I.V.B (Bandoeng Inlandsche Voetbal Bond). The club has managed to stay in the top-tier of Indonesian football since the foundation of the Liga Indonesia in 1994.
The homekit of Persib Bandung has been blue since the very beginning of the club. The official club colors are blue and white. The club’s badge is based on the seal of the city of Bandung. It reflects the mountainous area(in green) surrounding the city, a grid that represents ‘the ability to protect and resist attacks from outside’ with waves on the foreground.
The blue and white colors in the logo of Persiba Bandung were adopted from the official colors of the Siliwangi Kingdom(Sunda Kingdom). A long gone kingdom that used to stretch out over most of West-Java. Until today people from West-Java tend to associate with the customs, language and history by calling themselves Sundanese.
Nicknames Persib Bandung
* Maung Bandung (Bandung Tigers)
* Pangeran Biru (The Blue Princes)
Stadium of Persib Bandung
Over the years Persib Bandung had several stadiums that they could call home. With Gelora Bandung Lautan Api stadium as the most recent homebase of the club. Although, until now the club hasn’t played many games in the 38,000 capacity stadium yet. Due to various reasons ranging from rumors about construction errors due to more recent affairs with the Covid-19 outbreak.
Gelora Bandung Lautan Api
Si Jalak Harupat Stadium
Persib fans: Bobotoh & Viking Persib
The fans of Persib Bandung are one of the most passionate in the country. Most Persib fans refer to themselves as Bobotoh. This name comes from the Sundanese language meaning: Passionate people who want to fight. However, the official and biggest fan group are the Viking Persib Club(VPC). They are the first official fan club in the country, established in 1993.
The second-largest group of Persib supporters are called The bomber (Bobotoh Maung Bandung Bersatu) but referred to as Bomber Persib. Other support groups include Bobotoh Casuals and Bobotoh Ultras. The official club anthem is “Dan Persib” created by Bandung musician Pidi Baiq. Usually, the club anthem is performed under the supervision of the now famous (Islandic) viking clap.
Rivalries Persib Bandung
Persib Bandung versus Persija Jakarta
Persib Bandung has one of the fiercest and deadliest rivalries in the history of Indonesian football. The Indonesian El Classico between Persib Bandung and Persija Jakarta is a battle between neighboring cities Bandung and Jakarta and is played on neutral terrain for the past five years due to fan riots, attacks on players, and actual casualties.
Persib Bandung versus Arema Malang
Besides the rivalry with The Jakmania, Persib Bandung fans hold a grudge against Arema Malang. As fans of Arema and Persija are befriended, it’s not hard to see why Persib and Arema can’t get along. This match is always considered to be a high-risk match. Players from the away team will be transferred to the stadium in tanks and away fans are usually not allowed to visit the game.
Famous & Legendary players of Persib Bandung
In the history of the club, several international and national club players have worn the blue colors of Persib Bandung. Underneath we have given an overview of some famous players of the club from Bandung. While some players included didn’t have that much impact on the club itself, they are recognizable players within the world of football.
- Robby Darwis
- Djadjang Nurdjaman
- Yusuf Bachtiar
- Ajat Sudrajat
- Sutiano Lamso
- Sergio Van Dijk
- Raphael Maitimo
- Michael Essien
- Carlton Cole
- Nick Kuipers
- Geoffrey Castillion
News, interviews and articles
- Talking Football With Gavin Kwan AdsitThis week we had a talk with Gavin Kwan Adsit. The Balinese-American defender was born under the smoke of beachside…
- Hanif Sjahbandi – Our Biggest Enemy is PopularityHe was born on the 7th of April 1997 in the city of Bandung. After gaining experience abroad from a…
- Ezra Walian – A New Chapter at Persib BandungThis week we had a call with Ezra Walian. The 23-year-old striker who grew up in Amsterdam and who recently…
- Bagus Kahfi – Optimist in EuropeHe has been labeled as one of Indonesia’s most talented football players. And with twenty goals in twenty games for…
- Nick Kuipers and Persib Bandung a good Match!In August 2019 Nick Kuipers signed a contract for Indonesian Football Club, Persib Bandung. The club might sound unfamiliar to…
- Robert Rene Alberts – A lifetime of adventures!Did you know that Robert Rene Alberts, the current head coach of Persib Bandung once worked together with the Brazilian…